It’s the beginning of a new year, and perhaps you’re thinking of expanding your wine collection (or starting one!), or just looking for bottles to enjoy with friends and family during the cold winter months. Whatever you have planned, after you’ve gone through the arduous process of carefully selecting your wines, you’ll have to think about how they will get to you. Shipping your wine shouldn’t be the hard part, so in the interest of starting a new year off on the right foot we’ve put together a few common misconceptions about shipping (and how to deal with them) below:
- Cold temperatures don’t affect wine. While most collectors understand that heat can damage wine, many do not realize that cold temperatures can also have a negative effect. The alcohol in wine does lower the freezing point, but in below-20 temperatures the expansion of liquid in the bottle can cause raised corks, seepage, and in extreme cases even cracked bottles. Hart Davis Hart highest priority is always to ensure that you receive your wine in the same condition that it leaves our warehouse, so if temperatures are too cold or too hot, we will always contact you by email and suggest shipping at another time.
- Wine can be left without a signature. Federal law requires all shipments of alcohol be signed for by an adult 21 years or older. If staying at home to wait for your delivery sounds impractical, try shipping to a business address, or you can request your wine be held for pickup at your local FedEx office where you know someone is always available to sign for it. Don’t get stuck waiting at home for your delivery!
- Shipping costs are calculated per bottle. Whether you’re shipping FedEx overnight or on a temperature-controlled consolidated shipment, you’ll always get a better rate by shipping in full cases. Your best cost-per-bottle will come from 6-bottle and 12-bottle shipments. We’re happy to consolidate multiple orders, and if you have 11 bottles in your cart – find one more to fill out that case!
- We only ship in disposable Styrofoam. While Styrofoam is the go-to industry standard, it can quickly pile up in your cellar (or landfill) and be a pain to get rid of. Consider participating in Hart Davis Hart’s green shipper program to cut down on the clutter in your cellar – these shippers are reusable and can be returned to HDH by dropping off at your local FedEx store at your convenience for no additional charge. You clear out your cellar, and we help keep Styrofoam out of landfills.
- Temperature-controlled shipping is always unaffordable. Hart Davis Hart works with a network of dedicated wine storage facilities around the US and even overseas that can receive wine on your behalf and deliver to your home by appointment. This enables us to offer cost-effective temperature-controlled shipping year round to places like the New York tristate, California, and Florida at rates equitable to FedEx or UPS ground. Contact us any time to find out if we offer temperature-controlled delivery to your area and find out more.
- I can ship my wine to arrive the day I want to drink it. While technically, yes, you may be able to arrange delivery the day you plan to drink your wine, it’s not advisable. Transit can shake up sediment, and wines (especially vintage) should be allowed to settle before consuming. There is also always the possibility of delays, so it’s better to plan ahead and ensure that you have the opportunity to enjoy your wine as it was meant to be enjoyed, at your leisure.
Now that you’re armed with crucial information, visit www.hdhwine.com to see our amazing selection of retail wines, and if you have any questions you can always contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy hunting!